Thursday, January 6, 2011

Not so vegetarian chili

At the beginning of last month, one of the fantastic blogs that I follow, Joy the Baker, posted a recipe for Spicy Vegetarian Chili. There is nothing like a wonderfully spicy chili on a cold winter evening.  This one was no exception.  The only changes I made were adding about a half pound of ground turkey to the mix and I did use vegetable stock instead of the suggested beer.  I had made the chicken lemongrass potstickers a couple of days earlier and still had the remaining ground turkey in the fridge waiting to be used up...so why not?!  Chili's just one of the dishes that you can totally throw additional things in.

So I started by browning all the ground turkey in a little bit of vegetable oil and then continued with the recipe as written.

Oh and let me say this about my chili powder! "$%£^$%^%&*((*^!!!!  It was soooo freaking hot!  When Chris and I had been out grocery shopping the week before, we stopped at the spice/herb aisle and I spotted this "extra hot" chili powder.  I'd never seen that before.  Chris mentioned that when he last used the one he had at home, it really wasn't very hot at all.  Enough said, extra hot it is then.  As you can see from the recipe, it calls for 2 heaping Tbsps of the chili powder.  Woweeee!
Even with the heat, this recipe was awesome!  The flavours were wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed it!  It smelled so good cooking and looked so good once we dished it out that I almost completely forgot to take a photo of it.  I think my bowl was half empty when I quickly ran for my camera (yes, still getting hang of blogging).
We had this the following night as well and the flavours had really improved.  The next day I also found time to make some basic scones in which I added some chopped green chile pepper.  They turned out a little dense, but were a perfect accompaniment to the spicy chili.
I will definitely be making this dish again.  It was fantastic and it made a HUGE amount!!  Perfect for popping in the freezer for another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment