Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cranberry sauce

Look what I made at Christmas!
The jars of cranberry sauce available here in the grocery stores are so tiny!  And then I remembered a conversation with my colleague Derek in Montreal and how at Thanksgiving he'd made cranberry sauce from scratch.  He insisted it was incredibly easy.  Seeing how I have so much time on my hands at the moment...time to make a batch of cranberry sauce!

It was indeed extremely easy!  I threw the bag of cranberries in a pan with about 1 cup of orange juice and 3/4 cup sugar (maybe a little less..can't remember).  I simmered them for a little while and then the cranberries began to pop and explode.  I continued simmering till about half or so of the cranberries had popped and then removed the pan from the heat.  As the sauce cools it just thickens up on it's own.

I have to admit, I put way a bit too much sugar in my sauce.  We tried it when it cooled and it was like a shot of sugar to the brain!  I then put it away in the fridge to rest for two days until Christmas dinner and luckily the flavours blended and was the perfect accompaniment to the 3 bird roast we had for our meal.

We even had some sauce left over so I used some of this along with some goats cheese with remaining wonton skins I had and made more baked wontons filled with the cranberry sauce and cheese.  Great combination!  I wish I'd thought to take some photos of those!

1 comment:

  1. Cranberry sauce and cheese... drool... 3 bird roast?
    Missed trivia last night as we went down to Maine for a few days! Maybe next week we should try Skyping?

    ReplyDelete