Monday, September 20, 2010

End of summer bbq

So, I got invited over to a friend's place on Saturday for an end of season bbq and I'd offered to bring a few things.  What a perfect opportunity to do some cooking and baking again! Yippee!  I decided bring along three things.

First I made Spicy Chipotle Grilled Chicken from the Bon Appetit site.  This is definitely a recipe I would try again!  I thought it was delicious!  YUM!  The only change I made to the recipe was I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead and cubed them for kabobs, adding a few veggies on the skewers too.  The kabobs were very flavourful.  Actually, they turned out slightly spicier than I expected, but I didn't hear anyone complaining.

Next I made Bacon Onion Cheddar Biscuits from the browneyedbaker blog. Oh boy, were these ever tasty too!  I had a little issue though, but it turned out alright in the end.  I cooked the bacon in the microwave, browned my red onion in the pan, assembled the biscuits in the muffin tin..and then realized I'd forgotten to add the onions into the mix.  Oopsie!!  So I just sprinkled them on the top of each biscuit.  They still turned out delicious!

And finally I made Black & White Cupcakes with chocolate butter cream from Ryan's baking blog.  Delicious!!  The cupcakes were very light and moist and the icing was great!  I've never been the best at making icing, but this butter cream was easy, delicious and not too sweet.  A great combination!
Actually, I'm glad they turned out so well in the end!  I was multitasking in the kitchen and it wasn't a pretty sight that day!  Preparing cupcakes, laptop on kitchen counter skyping fiancé overseas, running around like a mad woman that next thing I knew a plastic container went flying and there was about a cup of cornstarch all over the kitchen floor!  Ugh, just what you need when you`re in a hurry!

Everything turned out great in the end.  My friend had a successful bbq and we enjoyed fabulous food all around in the company of great friends! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. So much yummy food... Charlie didn't go after that corn starch, did he? :-)
    So, um, are you brining cupcakes in to work tomorrow?!

    ReplyDelete